The application period for the USQIS Summer School is now closed. Thank you to all who applied for this opportunity!
August 6, 2023 – Aug 15, 2023 at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois
The U.S. Quantum Information Science Summer School (USQIS) is the first joint summer school facilitated by the five DOE National Quantum Information Science Research Centers: C2QA, QSA, QSC, Q-NEXT, and SQMS.
This first edition of the school is a ten-day program co-organized by SQMS and QSC and will be hosted at Fermilab. Participants will learn about the DOE National Quantum Information Science Research Centers (NQIRSC) and their initiatives and will be provided with unique hands-on training opportunities and integrated lectures in the emerging field of quantum information science (QIS). This program targets undergraduate students, graduate students, postdocs, scientists, engineers, and technicians who are interested in learning about the field of quantum information science on both theoretical and practical levels. USQIS is available to current university, national lab and industry employees.
Sessions will be hosted by leading experts from the DOE NQISRC ecosystem.
Participants within this program will have access to world-class facilities and will receive hands-on training and education in the following topics:
- Introduction to superconductivity and quantum information science
- Theory and modeling of superconducting quantum circuits
- Microwave electronics and quantum measurements
- Superconducting radio frequency (SRF) cavity foundations
- Materials science and analysis tools for quantum materials and devices
- Introduction to cryogenics
- Quantum sensing for fundamental physics
- Quantum algorithms and quantum simulations for high-energy physics
- Technical: qubits and cavities fabrication, clean room operation, electrical and electronics components, and dilution fridge operation
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Full-time undergraduate enrollment at a college or university, post sophomore (second) year
- OR full-time graduate enrollment
- OR employee/member of a National Lab, University, National Quantum Information Science Research Center, Industry (engineer, scientist, technician)
- Prior completion of coursework in the following areas is required: linear algebra, calculus (at the advanced undergraduate level, does not apply to Technical candidates)
- We recommend completion of the following courses: quantum mechanics
- Letter of recommendation, ideally from a STEM faculty member or mentor/supervisor – this should be sent by the individual writing the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include applicant name in subject line.
- One-page resume (which includes current contact information and five most advanced classes taken in the area)
- One-page resume should be sent to email@example.com with subject line “USQIS __Your Name__”
- Application Deadline: April 28, 2023
- Program Dates: August 6, 2023 – Aug 15, 2023 (10 days)
- Acceptance Date: May 12, 2023
- Limited financial support is available. More details will be provided soon.
- Students wishing to apply for financial support should provide a short, written explanation along with the other application materials.
One-page resume should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “USQIS __Your Name__”
Please note: participation in the program is contingent upon being granted Fermilab site access. To enter Fermilab campus, participants must present a valid passport or US Real ID. (IDs must be REAL-ID compliant.)